I’m thrilled to share this recipe for chocolate butterfly cupcakes that I made last night for girls night! They went over amazingly; the girls absolutely loved them! The original recipe included lemon buttercream, but I decided to make vanilla instead. Since I didn’t have any gluten-free flour in the house I had to use regular flour; unfortunately I was only able to taste the vanilla buttercream, which was delicious! The recipe is from one of my cookbooks called step-by-step baking which I love for all the gorgeous photos. I’ve included the recipe at the bottom of the post. Since I love my KitchenAid mixer so much, I have to give it credit for all the hard work it does for me by including a couple pretty pictures of it!
Chocolate Butterfly Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
Generous 3/4 cup soft margarine
2/3 cup superfine sugar
Generous 1 cup self-rising flour, sifted
2 large eggs
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 oz semisweet dark chocolate, melted
7 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 12 muffin liners in shallow muffin pan.
2. Place margarine, superfine sugar, flour, eggs and cocoa powder in a large bowl and beat until the mixture is just smooth. Beat in melted chocolate.
3. Spoon the mixture into the paper liners, filling them three-quaters full.
4. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until well risen. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
5. For the buttercream, place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract, beating well with each addition.
6. Cut the top of each cake, using a serrated knife. Cut each cake top in half. Spread the vanilla buttercream over the cut surface of each cake and push the two pieces of cake top into the frosting to form wings.
7. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.